Friday, September 20, 2013

Baked Orzo with Eggplant and Mozzarella

Recently I realized that the link for one of my favorite sweet potato soup recipes no longer worked, and I hadn't written down the recipe anywhere so it's gone forever.  So I'm going to try to write up recipes as I try them (including notes on modifications) so this doesn't happen again.  Don't count on much in the way of commentary -- the quicker I can write up a recipe, the more likely it'll actually happen again!

Baked Orzo with Eggplant and Mozzarella
Adapted via Smitten Kitchen

1 large italian eggplant, or 3 skinny asian eggplants, cut into 3/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced

6 ounces orzo, rinsed
1 teaspoon tomato paste

1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 small lemon's worth of zest
4 ounces mozzarella, cut into 1/3-inch dice
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/4 cups water

No comments: