Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mango Slaw with Cashews and Mint

So when one has a large backlog of recipes to post about, does it make sense to start with the most recent (that I remember the best) or the oldest (that have been waiting for me long enough)? Please comment if you have an opinion!

Anyways, to get things rolling, this is a recipe I made just the other day. Since it's summer, I'm trying to take advantage of all the yummy fruits and vegetables that are in season right now. This recipe fits that criteria pretty well, and it has minimal unhealthy ingredients so I can pretty much eat my fill of it!

Mango Slaw with Cashews and Mint
from Smitten Kitchen
  • 1 mangoes, peeled, pitted and julienned
  • 1/2 lb Napa cabbage, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 red pepper, julienned
  • 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 T fresh lime juice, about one lime
  • 2 T rice vinegar
  • 2 T neutral tasting oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 T thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
  • 1/4 c toasted cashews, coarsely chopped

Directions:
  1. Toss mangoes, cabbage, pepper and onion in a large bowl.
  2. Whisk lime juice, vinegar, oil, and salt in a smaller bowl.
  3. Toss cabbage mixture with mint leaves, cashews, and dressing immediately before serving.

Comments & Modifications:
  • The original recipe called for crushed red pepper. I'm usually okay with spicy things, but couldn't quite see how it would fit in here, so I left it out.
  • Lacking the motivation to harvest fresh mint leaves from my plant, I used a couple of big pinches of dried crumbled mint. A different flavor, I'm sure, but it was still delicious.
  • If I could figure out how to get the flavor of the red onion without the lingering onion breath, I'd make this again right away.

Verdict: The mango was a bit of a pain, but this salad was worth it! I ate this for lunch two days in a row and found it pretty filling. Food like this makes me love summer so much.

No comments: