Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Cake
from Smitten Kitchen
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 16 oz sour cream
- 3 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar, then beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add sour cream and dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately in several additions.
- Beat eggs whites until stiff, then gently fold into batter.
- Mix last 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon together in a separate, small dish.
- Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the top with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and half of the chocolate chips. Pour remaining batter on top, sprinkling the top with the remaining cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
Comments & Modifications:
- I had some cinnamon and sugar mixed up from making snickerdoodles, so I used that instead of mixing it up fresh. It was pretty cinnamon-y, maybe more than what was called for in this recipe. Fortunately, I like cinnamon.
- I took mine out after 40 minutes and it may have been slightly underbaked, but was very moist. Definitely better to take it out a few minutes early than too late.
- Next time I'd add some salt, either by using salted butter or by adding a pinch to the dry ingredients.
- I wonder if it would work to use yogurt instead of sour cream? It would certainly be much healthier.
Verdict: This makes a LOT of coffee cake. This was not a bad thing. We all enjoyed it very much, and I'm sure it'll be made again.