Thursday, March 26, 2009

Overnight Apricot Oatmeal

Now, if I'm looking for a recipe for my breakfast rotation, this is totally it. Full of fiber and vitamins, and tasty too, what more could I ask for?

Overnight Apricot Oatmeal

Comments & Modifications:
  • It's got overnight in the title, but I just cooked it on the stove. I worried about it getting burned or too dry, and plus the crockpot is so much hard to clean! It's super easy on the stove, just combine all the ingredients in a medium pot, and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down until it's just barely simmering, and let it cook until it's thick and the oats are chewy, giving it a good stir every so often.
  • Based on some of the comments, and my laziness and cheapness, I used regular milk instead of buttermilk. I'm sure it would taste fine, but having to buy buttermilk and make sure I used it all before the expiration date would prevent me from ever making the recipe.
  • I added a bit more sugar (splenda, actually) than called for, and a bunch more salt. Oatmeal tastes bland to me without salt.
  • The one modification that really makes the recipe for me is a splash of almond extract. The apricots, at least the ones I bought, are sweet and flavorful but the taste doesn't quite permeate every bite like I would want. The almond extract, if you add just a splash, heightens and intensifies the apricot flavor without being overwhelmingly almond-y. It's awesome.

Verdict: Well obviously I like this oatmeal, since I had it for breakfast every day for the last month. It's really convenient to make it on the weekend and store in the fridge, then reheat in the morning at work when I'm ready to eat. (It does need a bit of extra liquid mixed in before reheating, since it congeals nastily in the fridge.) One recipe-worth is just about five servings, for me.

Now that I have a base recipe, I've been thinking of other tasty flavors that might work well with steel cut oats. Fresh fruit would certainly be tasty, if added after reheating. I imagine cinnamon and maple syrup and honey would all be nice, though probably not at the same time. I wonder what other spice combinations would work? There are enough possibilities to keep me eating breakfast for a long time. :)

No comments: