Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting

I'm really on a roll today with the reviews, aren't I? Good thing it's slow at work. Gives me time to catch up on my real life.

I bought a bunch of apples for Dan on sale for .99 cents/lb, but he didn't eat them quickly enough and they got weird. Not moldy or really gross, just not quite crisp like you want when eating them with caramel dipping sauce that he's obsessed with. So I started thinking about ways to use them up.

Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting

Comments & Modifications:
  • This was pretty easy, and came together quickly.
  • I like spices, so I added a bit more than what was called for here. This was a good decision.
  • The batter was very, very stiff. It took some work to stir in the apples and spread the batter out in the pan.
  • When I added the apples, it looked like it was going to be so much more apple than batter. I was wrong. This isn't very apple-y. I'm not sure how it would work to add more, since it was already so hard to stir in the apples.
  • After baking a lot of the apples turned funny colors, like reddish or dark green. This may be because I used a metal baking pan. It was kind of gross looking, but they tasted fine.
  • The brown sugar icing rocked. I know it's disgusting, but I still licked out the bowl when I was done. And *ahem* I may not have been very careful to get it all out when pouring the icing over the cake.

Verdict: This was good, but not great. I took it to work and everyone loved it, but I thought it should have been apple-ier. Also, even though it's thin, the taste of the icing totally overwhelmed everything else. Good thing the icing was super tasty.

Now I only have like 17 more apples in the fridge to use up!

No comments: