Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Curried Pork with Apples

This one was kind of spur of the moment. I hadn't planned anything for dinner, but there was a pork tenderloin in the freezer (actually there were several, but one expired in January 2007) and some apples in the fridge, so we decided to go with it.

Curried Pork with Apples

Comments & Modifications:
  • The whole structure of this recipe kind of confused me. I thought that you're supposed to cook pork until it's just barely done, but the instructions have it in the pan for like 35 min. I think it would be better to add the pork and onion to the pan at the same time to speed up the cooking process.
  • I couldn't taste the apples much in the end, and wished there were more. Also, I think it would probably help to add the apples later in the cooking process so they don't get so mushy.
  • At the end, instead of adding the chicken stock and covering the pan, I left it uncovered and reduced the liquid to a thicker sauce. To reduce cooking time further, I'd probably add only 1 1/2 cups of stock so it doesn't have to boil down as much.
  • I used 2 tsp of curry powder, and it really could have used a bit more.
  • My bouillon is a bit salty so I waited until the end to adjust salt levels. It needed just a tiny bit more.

Verdict: With the modifications above, this is another winner. Dan even liked this and he's really sensitive to pork that's been overcooked. We'll definitely be making this again!

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Hi Karin, I've been meaning to leave a comment on this post. I like your modifications!

One quick comment on simmering the pork in the sauce for 35 minutes: usually when you're simmering a meat like pork in a sauce it doesn't get dry or overcooked. It's baking, grilling or broiling that can really dry out this kind of meat if you cook it too long.

Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Dan
Casual Kitchen