Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Peanut Butter Crispy Bars

This seemed like Dan's kind of dessert, so I decided to give it a try.

Peanut Butter Crispy Bars

Comments & Modifications:
  • I had trouble with the crispy crust. Apparently when using a candy thermometer you aren't supposed to touch the bulb to the bottom of the pan, since then you'll just be measuring the temperature of the pan. Well, I didn't remember that, so my crust is kind of goopy instead of crispy, and it only got more goopy as time went on.
  • For both types of chocolate I substituted regular semi-sweet chocolate chips. I only keep so much of the good stuff around, and I was worried that I'd use it all up on a recipe that wasn't worth it. This was a good move.

Verdict: At first, I thought these came out really good. The chocolatey part tastes a lot like fudge, and if the crust wasn't perfect it wasn't a big deal. As time went on, the crust got more and more soggy until it was inedible. Even if the crust were made correctly, the bars themselves are so rich that eating one (1/16th of a 9x9 pan) gave me a stomachache. So, while they were good, I wouldn't be surprised if I never make these again. Oh well.

No comments: