Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Crockpot Taco Soup

Dan picked this one out for us to try. Every week I ask him what he wants for dinner, and every week he says, "Uhhh . . . I don't know?" So I've started showing him the recipes listed to try on this blog, and then he has a fixed set of options to choose from.

This is good, because he tends to choose stuff I'm not in the mood for and would probably never get around to making. And I would be missing lots of good stuff. Like this soup.

Crockpot Taco Soup

Comments & Modifications:
  • The recipe as written makes A LOT. I made half and it fit nicely in my smallish crockpot.
  • Despite halving the ingredients, I added the full amount of spices. (Well, I didn't really measure the taco seasoning since I have a giant bottle of it. But still.) It had just a bit of a kick which is nicely offset by the sour cream. If you really like spicy food I'd add some tabasco.
  • This calls for just a small amount of meat. That works great for me, since in my opinion meat is optional and easily replaced by beans, but if you really like/need meat you should add extra.
  • I agree that cheese and sour cream are not optional. I imagine that crumbled tortilla chips would also be tasty added just before eating.

Verdict: This was really good, a lot better than I was expecting. The combination of textures is intriguing: chewy meat, soft starchy beans, crispy corn, soft tomatoes. The cheese and sour cream don't hurt either, of course. I made this during an early cold snap, and it was so nice to come home in from the cold to a bowl of hot soup!

No comments: