Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Pumpkin Pie Squares

So, my coworker and I were looking for cookie recipes because we're both in the mood for baking, and she found this recipe. She made them and brought one in for me, and I was hooked.

Pumpkin Pie Squares

Comments & Modifications:
  • This looks like a pain to make, but it actually works out pretty well. You make the crust, and while it's baking make the filling. While the filling is baking, prepare the topping. Then it goes in the oven one more time and you're done!
  • This was pretty mushy right out of the oven. I put the pan in the fridge for a bit to help firm things up, which helped a lot. I'd leave a good 3-4 hours before cutting (or less in the fridge) to give it time to cool down and firm up so you can get them out of the pan without falling apart.
  • I sprinkled the pecans on before the rest of the topping, because my coworker said the topping was hard to crumble with the pecans in there.
  • I'd double or triple the amount of pecans and chop them a little better. I only halved most of mine, and I ended up with 1-2 pieces of pecan per bar. Not really enough.
  • I multiplied the brown sugar and butter for the topping by 1.5, which turned out to be fine but a little on the sweet side. I ended up using my fingers to crumble and sprinkle, but still got some big sugary sections. No one seemed to mind.

Verdict: These are really, really good. They taste a lot like pumpkin pie, but in a way much more interesting. The crust is really tasty with the oats and brown sugar, and the pecans on top add a lot of flavor as well. I brought these to Dan's family's Thanksgiving, where they were a big hit! Everyone wanted the recipe!

No comments: