Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Molasses

It's getting close to Christmas, which means it's time to make cookies. Yay!

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Molasses

Comments & Modifications:
  • I'm not very good at modifying cookie recipes. They're just too sensitive. So I followed this one pretty closely.
  • I forgot to add the salt at first. I kind of mushed the it in after adding the chocolate chips, which may explain why the cookies were a bit bland. Even so, next time I'd increase the salt to 1/2 tsp. If I used salted butter I'd still add the 1/4 tsp salt.
  • I omitted the walnuts, because nuts just don't belong in chocolate chip cookies.
  • This makes quite a lot of cookies. I didn't count, but it was a lot. I had to give them away at work. No one was sad about that.

Verdict: These are pretty good, but I really think the extra salt would make a big difference. The molasses flavor, while strong in the raw batter, is actually quite subtle after baking. I took them out of the oven while still a little wet looking in the middle, and when they cooled they were fully baked but somewhat chewy, and very puffy and thick with great texture.

No comments: