Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Pumpkin, Sausage, and Sage Pasta

I've been wanting to make this recipe for a while. Something about the combination of pumpkin, sage, and sausage sounded so appealing to me, even though I'd never heard of it before. So this week I had leftover pumpkin puree (squash, actually, but same difference) from making pies and decided to give it a try.

Pumpkin, Sausage, and Sage Pasta

Comments & Modifications:
  • I halved the recipe in case it turned out nasty. Also because dishes like this tend to taste better fresh.
  • I used whole milk instead of heavy cream. I'm sure it didn't taste as good, but hey, it's the week after Thanksgiving.
  • I didn't feel like measuring the pumpkin or milk so I just kept adding more till it looked right.
  • I omitted the cheese.

Verdict: Okay, but not great. The pumpkin had very little flavor, which is really strange when you consider that fresh is usually much more flavorful than canned. I couldn't get a good balance of salt, either; it was either too salty or practically flavorless. The sausage and sage bits were good, at least. It's good enough to eat the leftovers for lunch, but not good enough to get made again. From now on, leftover pumpkin = more pumpkin pie for me.

No comments: