Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Buckwheat Cookies

I totally got fun of for making these. I mean, really, buckwheat cookies? It sounds so pretentious, as if adding some buckwheat flour would turn cookies into a health food. Well, I can wish, at least.

Buckwheat Cookies

Comments & Modifications:
  • No changes to the ingredients.
  • I used my food processor, which rocks because it's so easy. It wasn't obvious to me at what point the batter came together, since it still looked very crumbly, so the best way to tell if it's ready is to squeeze it together and see if it sticks.
  • I shaped the dough roughly into balls, and flattened them with the tines of a fork. The cute crosshatch barely survived the baking process, so for the future I would use a flat-bottomed glass dipped in sugar or flour to gently flatten each cookie ball.

Verdict: These were every bit as subtle and delicious as the recipe promises. The cookies were a very unappetizing gray, which combined with the name turned a lot of people off. Everyone who tried them, though, gave a thumbs up. They're like a sandy version of a butter cookie, with extra earthy flavor from the buckwheat. I'll definitely make these again (especially now that I have buckwheat flour to get rid of!).

No comments: