Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Glazed Delicata Squash

I wanted to try a squash that's less stringy than acorn and easier to cut than butternut, so delicata was the obvious choice. Plus, the delicata squash was just so cute that I had to buy it!

Glazed Delicata Squash

Comments & Modifications:
  • I halved the recipe since I only had one squash. It made just a little bit more than what Dan and I could eat as a side for dinner.
  • I didn't have fresh sage or rosemary, so I used dried. Immediately after putting the sage in, I threw out what was left in the bottle because it smelled gross.
  • Unsurprisingly I did not have "fresh unfiltered apple cider or juice" so I just used normal-people apple juice.
  • I didn't have sherry vinegar either. There are so many recipes that call for this, I should track some down sometime. Instead I opted to use apple cider vinegar, since the alternatives were white vinegar, raspberry vinegar, or rice wine vinegar, none of which seemed right for this recipe.

Verdict: I thought this was going to be really tasty, but it turned out kind of meh. Now, I suspect this is due in large part to the substitutions I made. The dried spices added a weird texture to the glaze and tasted a bit off (perhaps due to the sage). The cider vinegar, while the best choice available at the time, made the dish a bit too apple-y; I think a contrasting flavor would have added some much needed depth. I liked how easy the squash was to prepare, compared to butternut in particular, but I think next time I'll try roasting it instead.

No comments: