Thursday, November 6, 2008

Jambalaya

Here's one that I made quite a while ago when I needed to use up some kielbasa. My modifications mean the resulting jambalaya isn't particularly authentic, but it was perfect for Dan and me!

Jambalaya

Comments & Modifications:
  • I used a whole u-shaped package of kielbasa, and no other meat.
  • I halved the rest of the ingredients, except for the tomato paste, where I dumped in two cans instead of one and a half.
  • I used store-bought chicken broth.
  • I cut back a ton on the cayenne pepper, and ended up using just a couple of dashes. This gave it a very light spicy taste that would probably work for most people.
  • I forgot the bay leaves.
  • For the future, I would add more vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots, and maybe something green. It felt like there was proportionally too much rice and not enough veggies.
  • Also, I'll use the giant stockpot next time instead of the medium one, even for a half batch. It came almost to the brim, and that tomato sauce splashes when it simmers!

Verdict: Tasty! Maybe next time I'll manage to follow more of the instructions. Not following recipes is getting to be somewhat of a bad habit for me.

No comments: