Friday, November 7, 2008

Gateaux Bastille

This is a rather strange recipe, but I couldn't resist making it once I read the list of ingredients. Also, I had some leftover prunes I needed to use up from a sad attempt at Mediterranean chicken a while back. And despite the chocolate, these actually aren't that bad for you, since there's no flour and very little sugar.

Gateaux Bastille

Comments & Modifications:
  • The liquor store didn't have cute little sample bottles of dark rum, so I used light. I also let the prunes and rum sit in the fridge overnight, which may have contributed to the lack of rum-tasting-ness in the final product.
  • I used 70% dark chocolate, since I had some laying around. It was fine, except for this next part . . .
  • I attempted to melt the chocolate in the microwave. I'm guessing the recipe instructs you to use a double boiler for a reason, since the chocolate seized after less than 30 seconds in the microwave. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, especially since I didn't have enough ingredients to start over, so I did the best I could to mash it back into some semblance of non-seized chocolate. I also added probably another 1/4 c of cream to the chocolate, just to get it soft enough to fold with the eggs.

Verdict: Despite my difficulties with the chocolate, the end result was quite edible. The texture is dark and velvety, and the taste is rich and chocolately with occasional fruity bursts. Still, I probably won't make this again, unless of course I have more prunes to get rid of.

No comments: